Monday, July 6, 2009

Beyond Degenerate

I had coffee with a friend of mine who is "off the bet" as they say in Gamblers Anonymous. He is one of those people who lose their minds gambling and steal from anyone they can to keep going. I was pretty sure I was never going to have anything to do with him since I was one of his victims but I had a change of heart and wanted to talk to him and see where he was at. He was doing good. He still owes so many people so much money but I think at this point he is committed to paying it. I think he will have to do it on his own terms which will upset some people. Its sad when you read articles about people who were compulsive gamblers doing things like robbing banks or embezzling money. I think its obviously a mental illness just like drug addiction. I had a dopefiend friend who robbed pharmacies in broad daylight with things like bricks and crow bars. Of coarse he got caught and he shoulda known he would get caught but addicts dont think logically. I let that guy stay on my couch for a while and try and kick drugs. Should I have been surprised had he stolen my TV? No. I was actually expecting it. I guess I will have to use that same attitude when it comes to my gambling addict friend because its so easy to just think he is a bad person who steals. I know bad people who steal. They dont stop and they are much sneakier than compulsive gamblers. They know how to shear the sheep and not skin it. Addicts skin everything including themselves.

I havent been playing much real poker. Looking forward to my Monday night 1/2 game tonight. My AC went out on my last officially sanctioned poker night so I spent all night with the AC repair guy. Ive played a coupla home games with non serious players. I made $100 overall from two friend games and probably shoulda made more since its as easy as betting untill they seem interested or they play back at me. But I did partake in the spirit of the evenings by gambling and donating some. My online stuff is still going well. My roll is up over $400. If I ever get some more RAM Im gonna try some more multi tabling full ring games. Right now my computer just cant run my big new monitor at the same time as my old monitor plus running 4 to 6 games of poker while having Holdem Manager constantly crunching stats.

No comments: