Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Circling the Drain

I dont even want to begin to write this. I had one of my biggest losses ever. $850. Half of it I lost playing holdem and like a genius I decided to play Omaha which Im not nearly comfortable enough to play. It really didnt matter though. I never hit a hand really. The one hand I would hit that I got raised out of woulda probably pulled me even for the whole night. I had AQJ9 and the flop is A,10,8. Basically by the time it was raised and reraised to me I realized I would be playing for the whole $400 I had in front of me. I folded. I figure I was somewhere around 40% to win against 2 players but I didnt have any money invested. Actually I was about 60% to win having just put it into an odds calculator. I didnt see all the outs like the Ks and 7s. I woulda won. Whatever. Thats why I shoulda never played Omaha. I woulda turned the straight and woulda boated the river. Oh well. Then I went about donking off the rest chasing shit in a sleep deprived haze. As for the holdem I started out by playing one hand of the tournament and turning a set and getting it all in with a guy who had turned a straight. I coulda got away from it having only lost 700 of my 4000 chip stack. Oh well.

The best hand of the night I wasnt in. A guy raises and the dude on the button goes all-in and says he hadnt looked at his cards. It gets around to the original raiser and he goes in the tank. Then he turns his KK over and still doesnt call. We are all trying to figure out why he hasnt called yet. He is worried that the dude has AA which he would never ever ever ever ever have in that spot. Well I take that back. He is more likely to have Aces since he hadnt looked at his cards because had he looked he would most certainly not ever ever ever ever have AA there. We all think the guy with KK is cruely torturing the guy. And then he mucks KK. WTF. The guy on the button turns his hand over to see 10,4 off suit. Mr.KK was sorta in a stupidity trance and said something about not "ridischooling" him. So pots come and go but at least we have a new word in our home game. Ridischool. Apparently it means not ridiculing a person who has done something beyond the 100th level of stupid. Something so stupid that to ridicule it would simply lower your IQ. To analyse that hand in any true and meaningful sense would make you dumber and subject to future ridischooling.

Anyway so what happened to me? Every time I raised a pot with my good ace I would miss and since the other person would flop the absolute nuts every time my continuation bets werent very effective. I did have KK once. There was $45 in the pot so I just made it $120 and took it down. I surprised I didnt get 3 calls. I had QQ once and reraised the UTG raiser and he just called. I shoulda figured AK but when the flop comes K high I still continuation bet and get check raised. Maybe the biggest hand of my night was when I straddled and a bunch of callers and I make it $45 to go with KQ. I get one call. The flop is AKsomething with 2 hearts. I continue bet $65 and the guy goes all-in. This guy could have anything. To break it down Im think he could have an Ace about 30% of the time, a pair of something else 20%, a set 10%, a flush draw 30%, and total air 10%. He is really unpredictable. I saw something which he did before he pushed which was either serious frustration or way over acting. It really didnt help my decision. I just decided Id rather call and be beat than fold and be wrong. He had a flush draw that never came. He only had about $220 to start so it was only about $120 I had to call. Whatever. All my big hands lately are gut wrenching decisions. I havent been able to trap anyone in a month. Most of the time Ive had to call with a pocket pair not as high as the highest card on board. Ive been right every time I can remember.

So my bankroll is decimated. My online one too. I played 4 SnGs last night. Lost all 4. As is typical they just hit every card they needed. I just laugh now. Im starting to really believe that God wants me to focus on something else. The run Im having can not be explained by odds. Yes Ive played bad too but everyone plays bad eventually when they run this bad. Snowball effect. So many just like me lose it all steaming and playing bad over a rotten extended run of terrible cards. I know so many people who work all week just to pay back their poker debts so they can borrow some more once they get square. I sure I will join their ranks pretty soon. At least it will throttle my loses. I know in the last month this has become a cliche way to end a poker post but I dont care. Superbad is one of the best movies ever and thats where its from. FML.

No comments: