Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Wanna Play Higher

I gotta do something different online. I keep going up and dropping down but its all in the little stakes games. My win rate goes up so much the higher I play. I get bored and cocky and have little regard for money in the .25/.50 game. I lost a full $50 buyin in two hands last night because of this. I had 8,5 on the button and a few limpers so I call. Flop is A,K,5. Small blind guy leads out. I figure he has an Ace. Someone calls and I call. Thats the problem. I called hoping to hi a 5 or an 8 because the money wasnt significant enough. Well the turn is an 8. He bets again. I didnt really like the bet. Now Im wondering if he has pocket 5s. But I call. The river is another 8. Yatzeee. And it makes the flush. He bets into me again. Now I can beat those pocket 5s or Ace,5 or a flush draw with a pair. I push in hoping he has the flush. He calls. A8. I lose. How fucking brutal. My own fucking fault. I should never seen the turn. Then I get pissed and buy into a $50 Head Up SnG. I dominate the guy but never kill him. The blinds get high and the pots get big and he runs good and I dont. Out. So I lost $80 total because I was playing .50/1.00 and up $30 and decided to play lower for shits before I had to go. ANYWAY.

My point is this. I want to play the $1/2 game. Historically Ive done well I that game. When my backer cashed out. I dropped down in stakes and started doing poorly so I cashed out. I couldnt bear the thought of him making money and me not. I left $80 bucks on and have run that up and down between having my last $20 in a SnG all the way up to over $700. Im at $210 right now. Im want to put $2000 on and just play higher. My hesitations are the current state of legality in terms of cashing out and that $2000 is a lot for me and I will be bummed if I lose it. Also Im worried that I might become to focused on playing and neglect my life if I invest a lot into it. Maybe I should just quit my job and uber nit multi-tables and be a rake back pro. I dunno. Stupid laws. Stupid time management.

1 comment:

marc said...

One of the things about playing lower is you have a lot more rake to overcome as a percentage of your winrate. I remember looking at the difference between 1/2 and 2/4 NL and at 1/2 rake accounted for something like 2bb/100 and at 2/4 it would account for only 1.2bb/100 or something similar. So moving up I could actually take a big hit in my winrate, almost 50% but still make up for it in the less rake I pay. So there might be some truth to having a better winrate at higher stakes. I think at very low stakes the rake is something crazy like 8bb/100.